Our mission and objectives
The COVID-19 pandemic affects us all. So does misinformation. This is why we created the COVID-19 Facts portal. Our mission is to provide knowledge and practical tools so that together, we can increase our resilience against and fight misinformation about COVID-19. Specifically, our portal aims to support and equip people to:
- Fact-check information and news about COVID-19;
- Access reliable, official and verified sources of information on COVID-19;
- Empower themselves with new knowledge and practical tools to understand and fight misinformation.
The COVID-19 Facts portal is for everyone. It currently operates in both English and French. We are also in the process of adding services in some of Canada's Aboriginal languages.
The Covid19Facts.ca/FaitsCovid19.ca portal is managed by The Société de l’Acadie du Nouveau-Brunswick (SANB). It’s funded by the Department of Canadian Heritage, under the Digital Citizenship Contribution Programme, which supports research on fighting online misinformation and other threats to democracy and social cohesion in Canada.
The SANB has also contributed considerable in-kind resources to the portal. Our Francophone and Anglophone partners have made both in-kind and monetary contributions to Covid19Facts.ca/FaitsCovid-19.ca
Our principles and values
- In the fight against misinformation and infodemics, it’s important to walk the talk. We’re committed to embodying the following principles and values in all of our activities.
- We have no bias. Fact-checking is subject to a methodology designed to be free of subjectivity. We verify all facts in the same manner using the same methodology and the same scale of verdicts. We have established stop-gap mechanisms at all levels of our organization to ensure its neutrality. This allows for multi-level checks under separate but interdependent committees.
- This portal is managed by the SANB, a non-profit community organization in Canada. We’re actively looking for diverse funding sources and are transparent about the funding of the COVID-19 Facts portal. We ensure that our funding does not interfere with the principles of independence and impartiality of the information offered on the portal.
- We display the source of all publications so that you can check for yourself that we follow an unbiased methodology. We explain clearly how we proceed with the selection of the information shown on the portal. We also inform you of the process used to determine the accuracy of the facts and news that we verify.
- We follow an honest process of correction: we’re committed to explaining our policy related to correcting any errors on the platform.
- Misinformation affects us all. We believe in linguistic and cultural equity, and make every effort to serve Francophones and Anglophones, and hopefully soon, Aboriginal communities in Canada.
Listening and Participation
- You can contact us at any time with questions, comments and concerns you may have, by clicking here.